A short list of the potential problems resulting from inadequate stakeholder identification and analysis include:
- Increased project risk in the form of unknown unknowns that unpredictably manifest as surprises throughout the project life cycle.
- Increased demands from senior management stakeholders for frequent and detailed project progress and status information.
- Delivering a “successful failure.” By this I mean, delivering on the known and agreed requirements without recognition that those requirements did not include input from important (unknown) stakeholder constituencies.
- Reduced ability to effectively anticipate and manage stakeholder expectations.
- Increased scope instability and frequent change control challenges.